Faculty and Research
Wharton's 225+ world-leading faculty members create a living network of ideas — one that challenges you to lead with strategic and measurable thinking. Wharton professors are thought leaders in their respective fields, and half have active consulting practices with businesses, not-for-profits, and governments around the world. Their broad expertise creates a range and depth of courses unsurpassed at any other business school.
Centers: Labs for new concepts
Wharton's 20 interdisciplinary research centers and initiatives bring together professors, executives, and students to focus on crucial business subjects, including entrepreneurship, social impact management, business ethics, health-care economics, real estate, retailing, sports business, and leadership and change management. The centers conduct cutting-edge research for faculty and in support of global industry initiatives, present high-level conferences, and generate academic programs for students.
New Courses in Response to “Market Signals”
Culminating a multi-year development and research process, faculty created a new curriculum to reflect the evolving business landscape. Charged with maintaining relevance and continuous innovation, Wharton professors have latitude to design new course content quickly. Faculty monitor “market signals” to develop new programs, such as the new Environmental Leadership dual degree and the three-year MBA/JD.
Diverse Teaching Methods
You will have opportunities for experiential learning and to collaborate with professors outside the classroom, taking risks and trying out new ideas with the support of experienced mentors. Going beyond case studies, faculty use lectures and hands-on learning. With students from many industries and countries in the classroom, expect lively challenging discussions about real business issues.
Innovation in Education
As the first B-School, innovation is in our DNA. Wharton faculty led the recent new curriculum changes and are continually focused on enhancing learning. Recent initiatives include:
- The newly launched Global Modular Courses, which provide an immersive experience on a designated topic by traveling to a destination where experts engage with that topic in relevant and exciting new ways.
- Twenty web-enabled simulations that challenge students to think strategically across multiple business functions.
- A new initiative with CISCO that creates the learning experience of the future, connecting our Philadelphia and San Francisco campuses. The immersive classroom blends life-size visual communication via telepresence with collaboration technologies that significantly enhance the way faculty, students and alumni interact and learn.
Faculty in the News
- Profs. Kenneth Shropshire and Scott Rosner in the Philadelphia Inquirer
Feb 12, 2014
Prof. of Legal Studies and Business Ethics Kenneth Shropshire and Practice... More
- Profs. Jonah Berger and Katherine Milkman in the Atlantic
Feb 12, 2014
Assoc. Prof. of Marketing Jonah Berger and Asst. Prof. of Operations and I... More
- Prof. Peter Cappelli in the Wall Street Journal
Feb 11, 2014
Prof. of Management Peter Cappelli is noted for his research on how the ca... More